Doorstep Lenders and Doorstep Loans
Doorstep loan companies specialise in giving loans to people in difficult financial circumstances, so even if you have a poor credit history it is likely they will still be able to help. Employment status is also not important so loans are available even if you are unemployed or on benefits - so long as you can meet the repayments there should be no problem.
How Doorstep Loans Work
1. Apply online for the loan. Work out how much you would like to borrow and over what period.
2. Your local loan agent will contact you to give you further details including the repayments, the APR and any other information.
3. You decide if you want to go ahead.
4. The agent will visit you in your own home to complete the paperwork and finalise the loan. You will receive paperwork and a payment card detailing how much you need to repay and when.
5. The loan is delivered to your door in cash.
6. Your agent will call at your home each week to collect the agreed repayments until the loan is paid off
The APR (Annual Percentage Rate) of your loan should be clearly displayed on the accompanying paperwork. The APR is often quite high on doorstep loans, which reflects the risk that the lender is taking in being able to lend to the sectors where conventional lending is restricted.
Fixed Weekly Repayments
Unlike other types of loan, doorstep loan repayments are usually fixed so they cant go up or down. This means that even if interest rates change the amount you will repay will stay the same.